Monday, 25 March 2013

Top Tips Tuesday - a little bit about Red Brick Glass

I have been approached recently by lots of different people for a little advice in creating a successful small creative business. So I thought through my own experiences and with the knowledge of other business owners I would write a Top Tips Tuesday blog that would cover lots of business tips on starting out, social networking, photography etc etc etc.

So lets start with a little bit about Red Brick Glass. 

I graduated in 2000 with a first class honours degree in glass from Edinburgh College of Art.

My degree show work back in 2000


I then received a business start up grant from the Crafts Council and The Princes Trust and Red Brick Glass was born. I worked for five years as an architectural glass artist, working to commission on large scale public art projects.

Here are a few examples.






I then had a baby, then 13 months later I had another one so glass making didn't happen so often then after baby number 3 all glass making stopped for a couple of years.

When my youngest started pre school I decided to start glass making again but with the focus on a products which I could sell online rather than architectural glass. This meant I could make and sell from home - perfect.

I started out selling on Folksy (who have been so supportive to me)and Etsy, then also joined Gifted Wrapped and Gorgeous and Swanky Maison. 

My own website has now been up and running for 18 months and has been a great success. I love Facebook and Twitter and they are such a great way to promote my business. I now run glass making workshops from my studio which is such an important aspect of Red Brick Glass.

So tomorrow I will have my first Top Tips Tuesday, so please do Join me.













2 comments:

  1. Great to read your story behind your buisness so encouraging and positive i do like to read how people start on their buisness journey. I found you through Facebook love your creations they are beautiful. Thank you for sharing with us and I look forward to reading your top tips tomorrow. I would love to start a buisness myself however I've got a long way to go and so much to learn.
    Hugs Rachael xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. So nice to hear "the story" behind Red Brick Glass. I'm a real fan of your work and it is that I live in the Netherlands or I would definitely like to do a workshop at your studio. Follow you already at Facebook and now also your blog! Anita x

    ReplyDelete